Skip to main content

Sea Turtles: Art + Oceans + Plastics Project Updates


When I started my artwork a question of how can I make a difference? was definitely present in my thoughts most everyday... 

 Over 1 million marine animals (including mammals, fish, sharks, turtles, and birds) are killed each year due to plastic debris in the ocean. Currently, it is estimated that there are 100 million tons of plastic in oceans around the world. It is expected that another 60 billion pounds will be produced this year alone. In some areas, the buildup of plastics is estimated to span 5 million square miles. To put it into perspective, that is the equivalent of the area of the U.S. plus India.  https://conserveturtles.org/information-sea-turtles-threats-marine-debris/

Seaturtles had already captured my heart! 


I came to believe through the many news stories (see links below for reference) that sea turtles, whales and other sea life somehow represented for me the proverbial canary in the coal mine.   I started troubleshooting by seeing both overt and learning about covert pollution in our waterways - ultimately which lead to our oceans.  

By examining plastic contamination in our waterways with a sister project and great supportive teamwork of VR/AR artist, John Craig Freeman titled: Flotsam and Jetsam: Plastic Gyres on Main Street we made strides but found it difficult to get full traction yet

 In principle, as we are still working on the above project I found I needed to develop more experience, information and communication strategies. 

 Meanwhile my work is ongoing in background research.  Daring to say that due to my predecessors working with a local water project  demonstrating mob tactics I was sidetracked in a 12-month fiasco!  This resulted in my resolute frustration, and a slow-down for me in processes for my own projects plus advancing possibilities of art as a bridge to community conversation due to politics for the AR/VR project - social and otherwise.   But now, returning to both sides of this project, that is, plastics as well as the sea turtle project, I feel freedom to move forward with confidence and more foundation and clarity.   

Outdoor pop-up studio!
Yankee Homecoming August 2019


This is wire 'sketch' of the artwork soon to be bronze/welded
Jaguars eat sea turtles.  Article from 2018.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/11/jaguars-eating-sea-turtles-costa-rica-animals-news/

Sea turtle baby found with many pieces of plastic in her stomach:  Article from October 2019.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/05/us/turtle-died-after-ingesting-plastic-trnd/index.html

Man buys sea turtles from open market and releases them back to sea: Article from 2019.
https://www.boredpanda.com/man-buys-turtles-food-market-releases-to-sea-rescue-arron-culling/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Sea turtle babies crushed by builldozers.  2012.
https://annamiticus.com/2012/07/11/trinidad-hundreds-of-baby-sea-turtles-crushed-by-bulldozers/

Sea turtles flash freeze, Cape Cod. 2018.
https://weather.com/science/environment/news/2018-11-27-sea-turtles-cape-cod-dead-cold-stunned



Simple roll of baling wire

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garden Art Design

  GARDEN ART Sizes and materials vary Priced according to customization Commissions Welcome! Email: asiascudder@gmail.com for more information

My Piece, "Off Kilter" on display at the Cape Cod Cultural Center

 

Installation of "Rising" at Franconia Art Walk 2023!

Great to have help with this installation ... Complete install pics pending!